About 10 minutes walk from Kokaido-mae Station Nagasaki Electric Railway.
Kofukuji Temple is the first Chinese Zen Temple in Japan. It was founded in 1620. It is one of the three major Fuku Temple in Nagasaki, together Sofukuji Temple and Fukusaiji Temple. The people from Zhejiang and Jiangsu Province built this temple, and so was also called "Nanjing Temple".
Also Ingen Zen Master were staying this temple one year as a priest after arrival in Japan from China.
The gate built in the first was destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt in 1690.
This is wooden gong shaped like a fish. The formal name is "Hanpo". It was beaten to call monks to meals. Abdomen is worn out, because have been beaten over the years.
The previous building was destroyed by a typhoon in 1865, and was rebuilt in 1883. Chinese style building was designed and build by Chinese craftsmen.
Standing Jizo Bodhisattva and Avalokitesvara beside Shakyamuni.
This lattices is the craft of assembling piece of wood without a nail. This circular window is the feature of architectural style in the end of the Ming dynasty.
Previous there had been the glass behind the window, but pieces of wood and the glass had blustered at the time of the atomic bombing in World War II. It was repaired after the war, but the glass portion is not possible, and finished the repair in the state of planking.
Mazu is the goddess for safety of sailing. The small statue of Mazu commonly was enshrined in ships. During stayed in Nagasaki harbor, the statue had been enshrined in Mazu Hall in his family temple.
It is said that Chinese Zen Temple in Nagasaki started as Mazu Temple at first.
Google Map Kofukuji Temple
Japanese site is here.